Staunton High School Families,
On February 15, 2019, Mr. Jeff Morris is going to be speaking to all the students at our school on the topic of suicide prevention. Jeff’s presentation is called Finding Hope and his goal is to teach the students and staff the steps to take to help someone they suspect is suicidal.
Jeff was a high school teacher and principal for 20 years and has a vast experience working with high school students. He is also a suicide attempt survivor and has been working in schools the last eight years teaching about suicide prevention. During Jeff’s presentation he will cover the following areas:
- The importance of dealing with stress, anxiety and depression in a healthy way.
- Statistics related to teen suicide (it is the #3 killer of teens behind accidents and homicide).
- Myths about suicide.
- The four areas of warning signs that suicidal people exhibit.
- What to say and not say to a suicidal person.
- Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR)
- These are the three steps to take to help a suicidal person.
Jeff is a certified QPR trainer. You can visit his website at www.findinghopesuicideprevention.com
If you have any questions about this presentation, you can contact Jeff at his email (email@example.com) or if you have concerns about your child attending the presentation, please contact the high school office.
Brett T. Allen